- 650 grams of pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 350 grams raspberries
- 1 kg sugar
- Juice of one large lemon (1/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons commercial strength pectin
1. Peel the pears, remove their stems, cut them in two, core them, and cut them into small pieces.
2. In a saucepan combine the pears, raspberries, sugar , and lemon juice.
3. Bring to a simmer. Skim, if necessary.
4. Add pectin and continue cooking on high heat for about ten minutes, stirring gently. Skim of any foam carefully, if necessary.
5. Check the set. I do this by putting a plate in the fridge. I place a little of the mixture on the cold plate and return it to the fridge. When it has cooled to room temperature, I check to see if it has gelled.
6. Put jam into hot jars immediately and seal with new lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
I use a jar lifter to remove the hot jars from the boiling water and let them cool slowly on the kitchen counter. Be sure to label your jars with details of the contents and the date you made it so you can rotate your stock in the pantry.